The synagogue was built in 1911 to designs by Leopold Baumhorn, well-known architect in Austro-Hungary. Nitra Synagogue has a central square ground plan. A double-wing door richly decorated with ironwork and wrought handle forms the main entrance. It is on the southern facade. Behind the main entrance, there is a commemorative plaque with the names of the founders, sponsors who provided finances to build the synagogue. The interior synagogue decorations are modest. Neither paintings, statues nor other Godly images can be found there. The facade is decorated and defined by oriental elements, laminating; the interior is in white. Initial owners of the synagogue were the Jewish Community in Nitra Town. Since 1982, Nitra District National Committee, and in 1991 complying with the law on ownership it became the property of the Town of Nitra. In 2003, the building was opened to the public offering valuable premises to organize cultural and public events. Its main component are the three permanent exhibitions, a series of the graphic letters of Shrag Weil, exhibition The History and Traditions of Jewish in Nitra Town and exhibition Alena Bugárová and Her View of Nitra.
Pri synagóge 3
Phone: +421 (0)37 652 53 20
Tue: 13.00 – 18.00, Wed, Thu: 9.00 – 12.00, 13.00 – 18.00, Sat, Sun: 13.00 – 18.00 h.
Entrance fee: 1 € / person.