Nitra City Park
The Nitra City Park is a green oasis in the middle of a busy town. Mainly during summer it is a hot resting-place and place of entertainment. It covers the area of 20 ha and consists of three parts from different periods. The oldest and northernmost part is known as the Old Park Sihoť which was found in the half of 19th century. Originally the river-bed of Nitra and a former race-way bordered the flat sloppy island known as Sihoť. This part of the park is rich in entertainment. An original children´s playground which provides fun to children as well as adults during a board game Mill and Russian skittles can be found here. For the amusement of older children there is a cableway behind the playground and a maze on the place of the former lake. The originally flooded forest was enriched by linden alleys and planted groups of native and foreign trees. The network of pavements is arranged in the form of a star which diverges from the Toad fountain with Žblnko, the waterman. The fountain was created in 1935 and it is the work of sculptor Július Bartfay. The main promenade leads to the former classicistic summer café, which was built in 1831 on the suggestion of the Bishop Jozef Wurum. The café was shut in 1945. The main attraction for the little children is the Farmyard, where they can play with different domestic animals. In the middle part of the park which is known as the Linking Park (Spojovací park) a summer swimming pool can be found. Above the pools which are surrounded by beautiful greenery is a nice view on the Nitra castle. It stands near the first Nitra swimming pool, which was built by the Nitra River in 1868. Its founder was the nestor of Nitra´s sport, Július Gisser. He contributed nearly all types of sports, which were known in the Hungarian monarchy during the second half of the 19th century. The south part of the park is known as the New Park. It consists of two lakes – Big and Small Hangócka, which are the popular spot for fishers. The lakes are joined together by a small stream above which a wooden humpbacked bridge stretches.
The trees and bushes of the individual parts of the park differ in age and species composition. In the Old Park there are 515 trees of 47 species. Many of them are more than 80 years old. The small-leaved lime-tree and the European ash are the most numerous. From the rare species the quercus turneri, which is the only tree in the park that has green leaves throughout the whole year, can be found here. You can find it next to the promenade on right side of the Toad fountain. The red buckeye, which is the most beautiful mainly in June when his big red flowers bloom, grows by the fountain. 1500 trees of 84 species can be found in the New Park. The most numerous are betula verrucosa and populus nigra. Interesting are the species of dendrology trees like ginkgo biloba by the pavement in the direction of the swimming pool, the Empress tree or the most precious spruce the giant sequoia. The American sweet gum, which leaves have a striking red wine colour, grows on the bank of the small lake.